Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Find A Mommy

Today the kids and I met some friends at the aquarium.  We always enjoy going to the aquarium!  The aquarium isn't too big and it's great that it's all inside.  We go there so often that all of our kids are pretty comfortable there.  Well, today we had a problem....one of our babies got lost.  There was a miscommunication between the moms and who was watching who.  Next thing you know, one of our friends was missing.  Even though it wasn't one of my children, I was still completely panicked.  It was an awful feeling.  I was put in charge of all the kids while the other three moms went to look for Rebekah.  They found her walking with another mom and her children.  The mom that found her complimented my friend Canaan for teaching her daughter what to do.  Apparently, Rebekah went up to this woman and said: "I can't find my mommy.  You are a mommy, can you help me?  My mommy told me to find a mommy if I got lost."  I was so thankful that Rebekah was safe and sound.  I was also very impressed by what she had done.....it's funny that when I complimented Canaan as well she informed me that she had never told Rebekah that!!  Who knows where she came up with that idea, but thank God she did!

This made me realize that I have never had the conversation with Reese about what to do if she were to get lost.  So this afternoon we spent a lot of time talking about it.  I also decided I would try to teach her Kevin's cell phone number.  I picked Kevin's because it has more repeated digits and is a little bit easier to remember.  So, we practiced and practiced.  After awhile we came down so that she show Kevin what she had learned.  When she tried to repeat it she was getting stuck.  I said, "It's okay Reese.  We will keep practicing."  To which she replied, "but mommy, I know your number."  WHAT?!  And sure enough, she rattled my number off perfectly....with the exact same breaks and intonation I use when leaving it on a voicemail....I am on my phone WAY TOO MUCH!!  But, I can't say that I'm sorry she has learned it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment