Friday, January 27, 2012

Daddy's Home and A Confession

Kevin has been out of town this week for work.  While he has been gone Reese has been talking about him being on an airplane.  I think that she understands the idea / concept of airplanes, but she doesn't realize that they land and daddy ends up in a new location.  I really think that she thinks he just flies around for days at a time! 

Kevin came home this afternoon.  Reese and I were upstairs in her room.  She had just woken up from her nap and we were changing her from her pull up to her big girl panties.  (She has been doing awesome with the whole potty training thing the last few days...my fingers are crossed that she continues this trend and doesn't regress when the baby comes.)  Anyway, I heard the garage door open.  I said "Reese, I think that daddy is home"!  Her entire face lit up!  It was really sweet!  I said "Hurry up and get dressed so we can go see him."  A few minutes later, Kevin came upstairs to see us (getting dressed was taking awhile).  As he walked in the room, Reese yelled "DADDY" and ran into his arms.  As she was giving him a HUGE hug, she pulled back, looked him in the face and said "Daddy, I didn't miss you!"

Kevin and I started dying laughing!  In her defense I think she was just confused!  She often tells us "I'm not sleepy" (as her eyes are glazed over and she is drooling a little) or "I didn't go poo poo" (as she fills her diaper).  It was just so funny to hear to exclaim with such glee that she "did not" miss her daddy!

Background information leading to a confession.....Kevin and I have season tickets to the Performing Arts Center.  It is something we started for our wedding anniversary a few years ago and have enjoyed doing ever since.  I have to admit that some of the shows are WAY better than others.  There have been a few that have just been horrible.  Regardless, I love that it is "our" thing.  We get a sitter and go to dinner and enjoy a night to ourselves.  So, we had tickets to see the Adam's Family tonight.  I knew that Kevin wasn't thrilled about going and that he would be tired from his trip.  I was worried that he wouldn't want to go. 

On Thursday, I skimmed the newspaper and saw that there was a review.  The headline read "Dark Comedy Light On Laughs".  EEK!  This didn't sound good.  I didn't take the time to read the review for fear that Kevin would be able to "sniff out" the fact that I knew the show was going to be terrible.  I was just going to put the newspaper in the recycling bin and not mention it.  That was until I noticed that the review was on the same page as the crossword.  Kevin LOVES the crosswords and I save all of them for him.  So, now I was in a moral dilemma.  I decided to hide the crossword at the bottom of his stack so that there was no way he would see it before the show....totally sneaky and clever, right?!

My mom happened to come over earlier in the day on Friday to watch Reese so that I could go to a real estate appointment.  As we were talking
she said "I think you guys are really going to enjoy the show tonight."
Me "What?!"
Mom "The show has gotten really good reviews.  I think you should enjoy it."
Me "What are you talking about?  The review in the paper was terrible."
Mom "No it wasn't.  The review I read went on and on about how funny it was and how pleasantly surprised everyone has been."
Me "Really?!  Because I hid the article from Kevin."

At this point I go and retrieve the paper.  Upon closer look the title actually said "Dark Comedy Not Light On Laughs".  It did get a very nice review....and I felt pretty silly for hiding it from my husband.

I finally confessed to Kevin...but I waited until intermission of them show....and until he had agreed that it was a good show with some surprisingly funny parts!

No comments:

Post a Comment