Saturday, January 28, 2012

We Love You Bodie!

Today has been a horribly difficult day for our family.  It is hard to express in words how much our hearts hurt and how much our life changed at 1:15 this afternoon.  Today was the day that cancer won and we lost our beloved Bodie :(


Bodie was more than a dog....he was a big brother to Reese and Bentley, he was a protector, a companion, a friend.  He was SO gentle with Reese and she adored him (as you can see she loved to give him kisses).



And hugs....he was so patient and tender with her.



He made Reese grin from ear to ear and squeal in delight.  I am devastated that he won't be here to meet our new baby.

He was a fighter....he fought until the very end and beat every statistic that was given to us.  He was our "brown dog".  The memories and stories are abundant.  We will have a constant void in our hearts and home without him.

When Kevin and I first met, Bodie was "his" dog.  To be honest, Bodie and I didn't hit it off.  I think that he viewed me as the intruder.  Looking back, I don't blame him.  I had to admit to Bodie and Kevin today that in the beginning I had "used" Bodie.  I would call Kevin and ask if I could take Bodie for a walk / run around Boomer Lake in Stillwater.  Now keep in mind, that I hate running...rarely walk....and had other friends in Stillwater with dogs, but Bodie was my excuse to talk to Kevin.  That was almost 10 years ago...so obviously it all worked out!

Bodie used to always get Kevin's shoes out of this closet and bring them to the couch to "snug" with them.  It was the funniest thing.  He never chewed them or left teeth marks...but when he missed Kevin he would go snag a shoe and cuddle up with it.  He did this for years.  After Kevin and I had been married about a year, I came home one day and found Bodie on the couch with one of my shoes.  I know it may sound silly, but it was then that I knew he was "mine" too.  I had finally won his heart!

Bodie certainly knew how to make me feel safe and secure.  Whenever Kevin was away for any reason, Bodie became the man of the house.  He was big enough that when he would sleep with me it was as if Kevin was in the bed. 

Watching Bodie become fragile over the last few days was awful.  While saying good-bye was heart wrenching I firmly believe that he is in a better place.  I know that he isn't in any pain and is enjoying himself.  It is the ones that are left behind that always hurt the most.

Our house does not feel the same without you Bodie.  We love you and miss you dearly!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. This just breaks my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I am so sorry to hear about Bodie. Your family will be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. frickin terrible. so sorry for you and kevin

    ReplyDelete