Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Criss-Cross Applesauce

The other morning Reese was "helping" me put on my makeup.  We have a big mirror in our closet and an ottoman that I normally sit on to do my makeup.  For some reason that morning, I decided to sit on the floor.  I was sitting Indian Style (as I grew up calling it) on the floor.  Reese decided to sit on the floor with me.  She was messing around with some of my hand lotion, when she looked up at me and said "Mommy, this is applesauce?"
Me: (puzzled look on my face) "No honey, that is lotion.  Do you want some applesauce?"
Reese: "No mommy, I'm applesauce."
Me: (very confused by this point) "What honey?!  You are silly!  You are not applesauce."
Reese: (looking at me like I'm an idiot and trying to figure out how to break it down for me) "Mommy, I sit applesauce?"
Me: (light bulb finally going on) "YES!  Yes, honey, you are sitting criss-cross applesauce!  That is so nice!"

I mean for reals!  Poor two year old thinks her mom is a moron!  She is clearly a model criss-cross applesaucer :)  I awarded her a gold medal in both form and dexterity to make up for my misunderstanding.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, so I have never heard Indian Style sitting called criss-cross applesauce. That's a new one on me. Actually, when I saw your blog post title, I immediately went back to childhood where we would grab the hand of a friend, mark their hand with a pretend 'X', close their hand and then say, "Criss Cross, applesauce, you can't open your hand until (fill in desired action--i.e. you kiss a certain boy 10 times on the lips)."

    Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog header is absolutely adorable!! :)

    ReplyDelete