Thursday, February 17, 2011

Eavesdrop With Caution

I've had two interesting conversations recently at school after people have "accidentally heard what I was saying". Now I know that I am super cool (actually it's probably just that I talk loud) but I had no idea how easily things could be overheard and misunderstood.

Both stories revolve around the free breakfast that is served at our school each morning. Let me begin by saying that there are only a few of the breakfasts that I can even eat. I do like the biscuits.....but processed eggs on my biscuit freak me out!! This is not in anyway a slam on school...eggs from anywhere that are served like that make me want to loose my breakfast rather than consume it. Yes I am a picky eater. My fear of eggs was amplified significantly while I was pregnant....my intensive hunger and dire need for breakfast every morning was also amplified. During this time my friend and co-worker, Danny, got suckered in to doing "egg removal" from my biscuits before I even got a visual on said egg. For this I will be eternally grateful! Well fortunately for me (not so fortunately for Danny) this trend has "stuck".

Now, on to the stories....

1. One morning several weeks ago I was in my office talking with the grad student working with me about what was for breakfast.  We discovered that it was an egg and cheese biscuit.  I was telling her that I was going to text Danny for a biscuit with egg removal.  A few hours later one of my favorite co-workers, Shelley, came up to me with a very worried expression.  This is what went down:

Shelley: I didn't mean to eavesdrop earlier, but is everything okay?

Me: (highly confused and wondering what I may have been complaining about previously) Yep!  Why?  What did you hear?

Shelley: Well, I know it's personal, but are you having fertility problems?

Me: HUH?!

Shelley: I heard you say something about egg removal.  I thought you were talking about fertility stuff.

Me: Ha!  NO!  I was talking about Danny taking the yucky egg off of my breakfast biscuit.

2.  Later that same morning, I was in the office telling another friend, Staci, what had happened with Shelley.  I thought it was super funny!  As I'm telling the story our cafeteria manager comes up behind me and says....

Robin: I'm sorry to interrupt.  I didn't mean to eavesdrop, but did you say that something was wrong with your breakfast today?

Me: Ha!  NO!  I was just saying that I don't like the eggs and that Danny takes them off for me.  It's nothing that was wrong with the way they were prepared.

Robin: Oh good!  I thought that the cafeteria had messed something up.

Moral of the story....be careful what you say and how you say it....you never know who is listening and what they may think they hear you say!!

1 comment: