Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Stupid Tag!!

Today at work my friend Staci came up to me and said "Did you know your tag is expired?" 

(enter into Sarah's thoughts here....."Crap!!  I noticed that a few weeks ago and meant to look into it.  I know that I bought my new tag.  I remember specifically going to the tag agency and getting the new tag.  Where the heck did it go?  Did it fall off?  Did it get stolen?  UGH!)

My response "You know it's funny you say that.  I thought I noticed that recently, but I know that I bought my new tag (in February when it was due)."

So, I called Kevin and told him how annoyed I was.  What in the world happened?  He also remembered me going to the tag agency to get the new tag.  He called to ask about replacement tags and then called to let me know that I needed to go by the tag agency and it would be $13.50.  How annoying that I had to spend my money on something that wasn't my fault.

On my way to the tag agency I called Kevin again to talk to him.  As we talked through it, I realized that I hadn't bought the tag for my car....my VERY vivid memory was for the tag on the Tahoe that we recently sold.  Perfect, that means that I totally spaced mine out.

(re-entering Sarah's thoughts..."Crap! (I say this to myself often!)  I remember when I was renewing the tag for the Tahoe I had a conversation with my friend Erin.  In this conversation I gave Erin a TON of grief for driving around with an expired tag....how irresponsible.  How hard it is to get a new tag.....oops!  Insert foot in mouth.  So, Erin I apologize!  I can totally see how something like this may be overlooked!)

I arrive at the tag agency to find out that my $81 tag was now going to cost me $116.50 because of penalities.  Then when I went to pay I was told that because I was "in penalty" I couldn't write a check.  I had to go get cash or pay by a major credit card with a 2.5% processing fee.  So, off I went to the ATM.  I returned a few minutes later, paid the cashier, and was told my tag would be ready in just a few minutes.

So, there I sat thinking about what a freaking disaster this ordeal had been.  And how I was really hoping to get caffeine on my way to get my weave done, but now I probably wouldn't have time.  Oh how I love caffeine and really needed a pick me up.  I "came to" as I heard a lady calling the name "Gar-freeze", "Gar-freeze"...no response from me.  "Gar-freeze", "Gar-freeze" ...she must have called this name 6 times...by now I'm looking around thinking "Good Lord Gar-freeze, get your act together and claim your tag."  A second later with pure disgust in her voice she says "Is there a Sarah?!"  Ding, bell goes off in my head! 

Me: "Oh, I'm Sarah.  Sarah Launchbaugh"  As I say this I look down and notice that the piece of paper in her hand says Sarah Gareis.  Okay, so apparently my car is still registered in my maiden name.  Which had she said, I would have recognized and claimed....however, I haven't been called Sarah Gareis in 5 years and there is no f anywhere in either of my last names!

3 comments:

  1. your stories always make my day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My tag totally expired on April 30th, and I haven't gone to get it renewed... Oops! You're not the only one :) I'm going Friday, no excuses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gar-feez, this is freakin' cracking me up.

    ReplyDelete