Monday, April 18, 2011

Things That Make You Go "Hmmm"

I work at an elementary school, right?!  Right.
A school where teachers work with kids, feed kids breakfast in the classroom, help kids in the cafeteria, etc.
A school with over 900 students and a faculty / staff of around 90 adults.
A school that only has 3 restrooms for the "Ladies" (the word ladies isn't in quotations because there is anyone of questionable sexual orientation, but simply to say the adult women in the building).  For the most part (except for at lunch EVERY SINGLE DAY) there is usually a free restroom, but maybe not the closest one.

I have now worked at this school for 7 years and recently I have noticed a trend that is slightly alarming.  So, today I went on a photo scavenger hunt.  I will show you all three pictures and then see if you notice what my concern is....


Bathroom 1

Bathroom 2

Bathroom 3
(yes that is a can of Lysol...yes teacher's poop....and sometimes they even poop at school)

Okay, so my concern isn't about the industrial smelling Lysol (or about the fact that sometimes you have to go #2 at work)....but about the fact that all of the paper towels are DRY!  Are these women not washing their hands?  Are they taking the time and effort to turn on the water (which I hear outside the door), pump soap (I can also hear this), and pretend to dry off their hands with paper towels (how wasteful)?  Or are the paper towels just drying during the day?  PLEASE please tell me that we secretly are at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and that we have self drying paper towels....because the alternative (dirty, filthy potty hands) really freaks me out (and I am NOT a germ freak).

In order to illustrate my point, here is what my paper towels look like after ACTUALLY washing my hands.

Am I making this up?!

3 comments:

  1. Gross! Any possibility the paper towels dry over time so they are actually wet at first but then look dry over time??? Hopefully bc the alternative is just plain nasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe they do a ton of shaking before getting a paper towel? or maybe those are the "open the door so you don't get germs on your hands" towels? either way.....ewwwwww! and you're a wierd-o for noticing that! lol love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with ya sister...People who fake washing their hands are disturbing. I'd almost you rather just walk out without fake washing. We have a co-worker who does this often.... turns on water, pumps soap (or pretends to), 1..2.. off goes the water. then paper towels, a 2 second dry, then throws it in the trash. Really? You can wash your hands in less than 10 seconds? Eh. Please let me know what food YOU bring to the pot luck luncheon!

    oh, and before above said coworker started the fake washing, she would just walk out after leaving the stall. So... we had a secretary who noticed this pattern, was once in the stall and noticed above said coworker exiting the stall and secretary yells out "WASH YOUR HANDS PLEASE!" in this sweet secretary voice. It was amazing. Anyway. I share in your disgust. Wash your hands people. It's not that hard, nor does it take THAT much time.

    ReplyDelete