Monday, June 20, 2011

Swim Lessons

Reese is taking her second set of swim lessons.  Last summer she was in the Diaper Dolphins class at Miller Swim School.  To say that we were under impressed with the instructor would be giving her credit.  Reese however seemed to enjoy being in the water and it is very important to me for her to be comfortable and confident with swimming.

*** The reason that I'm so anxious about her being comfortable in the water is because I am NOT.  When I was young we lived in Denver and I went to year around school.  Swimming was never a big deal.  When we moved to Oklahoma and my parents put me in swim lessons I was terrified.  Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of swimming because it means getting a tan and cooling off in the water, but in a life threatening situation I would for sure sink.  I plugged my nose until high school.  The only "stroke" that I have mastered is the doggie paddle.  In fact, there is a funny story about my doggie paddle.  Several years ago (I'm guessing I was about 22 - 23) we went to our friend Jeremy's parents house to swim.  There were 3 couples and we were hanging out enjoying some adult beverages.  I decided to take a "lap" to burn some calories.  As I was making my way across the pool I looked over at Jeremy who was sitting on the side of the pool.  I said to him "Hey Jeremy, do you want to watch my doggie style?!"  At this point, Kevin (my husband) and everyone else there about choked on their beverage and started dying laughing.  When I realized what I had said I started treading water so bad that I nearly drowned.  (Maybe that is a tad dramatic and I didn't really almost drown...but I was SURE embarrassed!!!)

I seriously digress....so this summer we moved Reese up to the Flippers class.  Our anticipation was that surely this class would be better than the previous one....we'll see.  Here are some pics from her first day of lessons.

This is NOT a very good way to start!!  But doesn't she look cute with her pony tail and cover up?!


Seriously!?  She can't be serious right now!


There we go....Daddy made it all better!


Getting a smile out of Reese is not easy....but look how adorable she looked!  I love this swimsuit!

Daddy has a special way with Reese!  I know that she feels very safe with him!



I think she likes the water :)


Bubbles make Reese VERY happy!  Look at that sweet smile!







All in all I think it's safe to say that Reese enjoyed her first swim lesson of the season!

4 comments:

  1. I totally feel your pain with water. My swim lessons as a kid were epic fail. I still can only do "doggie style" as well...I mean dog paddle. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously laughed out loud at your doggie style story! So funny!!! And so something I would do!

    ReplyDelete