I work as a speech-language pathologist in an elementary school. Between the students and the faculty, I hear some pretty funny stuff. Today was no exception.
1. I went to pick up one of my third grade students. When I went into his classroom, I found him sitting at his desk crying. His teacher told me that he was upset because they were doing a mock spelling bee and that he hadn't done well. As we walked to my room he got more and more upset. We stopped and talked about it for a few minutes and got him to settle down. Poor baby! So, one of the tasks we did in therapy today was a project called "Hand's Down". We traced both of our hands on paper, on one hand we wrote down 5 things that are easy for us to do or that we are good at and on the other hand we wrote down 5 things that are difficult for us. When it was his turn, he told the group that "spling" (otherwise known as "spelling") was something that was hard for him. I'll be honest, it was tough for me not to smile at this...or say "Really?! Spelling, huh!? I would have never guessed!"
2. I am a part of the Child Study Team (CST) at school. When a teacher has academic or behavior concerns about a student, they come to CST for us to "discuss". We try to come up with strategies and interventions for the child and teacher in order to help the student be successful. I really enjoy the collaboration of the team and I have learned so much for my co-workers. Today we were meeting with a 2nd grade teacher. She was showing us her students journal. I glanced over to look at the handwriting (you would be amazed how much a students penmanship can tell you). I looked away and quickly looked again...the assignment was to use their spelling words in a sentences....this is the one that caught my eye...."My sister is moist sometime." WHAT?! Honestly, I was like a middle school student....I started dying laughing! Clearly, this student does NOT understand the meaning of moist.
Wednesday, March 9, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

OMG I am dying! Please keep more of these stories coming! Really it should be legally mandated that you have to share these so all of us can laugh at them.
ReplyDelete